Murray firefighters fought a stubborn early Tuesday morning blaze in a warehouse building near the Murray North TRAX light rail station.
Crews found flames and smoke pouring from the structure at 4300 South and Fireclay Avenue when they arrived at the scene about 2:30 a.m. About an hour later, the flames had been snuffed, only to flare anew around 6 a.m. before once more being doused.
No cause for the fire had been determined as of late Tuesday.
Crews searched the inside of the roughly 5,000-square-foot warehouse but did not find anyone camping in or by the building who might have started the fire accidentally. In addition, a hydrocarbon-sensitive arson dog went over the area but did not hit on any accelerant, according to Deputy Fire Marshal Pat Killion.
Killion said the building burned from the top on down, which could mean fireworks landing on the roof ignited the blaze but no evidence of that had been found by the end of the day.
He was fairly certain the fire began sometime around 2 a.m., since a fire engine had been dispatched about 1 a.m. to a medical incident at nearby apartments, but no flames were noted at that time.
No injuries were reported and the fire was contained to warehouse, not threatening either the TRAX station at 4400 South or apartments a block north.
A dollar estimate for losses was yet to be assessed, but the warehouse — containing automotive items — was heavily damaged.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.