Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Roy man arrested in slaying of elderly, ailing wife
Crime » Police say 74-year-old may have used suicide book as a manual.
First Published Jul 01 2014 01:11 pm • Last Updated Jul 02 2014 09:40 am

Roy police have arrested a 74-year-old man in the February death of his wife after a four-month investigation allegedly found evidence he may have used tips from a book on suicide to poison her with nitrogen gas.

Arrested at a Woods Cross motel on 1:30 p.m. Monday was Dennis Vance Chamberlain. He was being held without bail Tuesday on one count of first-degree felony murder in the Feb. 16 death of his wife, 70-year-old Jean Andersen Chamberlain.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Roy police Detective Jason VanderWarf said Tuesday that Chamberlain did not notify police of his wife’s death at the time, but only his family and a mortuary. VanderWarf said that due to her failing health and her having been seen by a doctor shortly before her death, a death certificate was issued.

Mrs. Chamberlain was buried in the Bountiful City Cemetery on Feb. 20, without an autopsy having been performed.

Nonetheless, having finally learned of the death, Roy police investigated and soon found reasons to be suspicious of the defendant’s account of his wife’s death, VanderWarf said.

"He made a series of inconsistent statements to his family about it, including that certain people were there when she died, but actually they had not been there," the detective said.

According to charging documents filed in 2nd District Court, at one point Chamberlain said he had walked his dog only to return home to find his wife dead. However, he allegedly told neighbors that he had taken his spouse of 48 years to the hospital earlier the same day she died; still later he reportedly told family members that his Mormon bishop had come to the house and pronounced Jean Chamberlain to be dead.

Detectives learned that the bishop actually had not come to the Chamberlains’ home, and did not know of her death until the day after.

Alarmed, police sought and were granted search warrants and subpoenas, and over the course of the ensuing months became convinced they were investigating a murder.

A search history on Chamberlain’s computers revealed information on how to commit suicide, get doctors to sign death certificates, and specifics on "certain medications, chemicals and poisons," a probable cause statement notes.

story continues below
story continues below

Detectives also learned that Chamberlain allegedly had purchased an oxygen mask and a book entitled "The Peaceful Pill Handbook," a euthanasia and suicide how-to manual. Several areas of the book pertaining to the use of nitrogen gas and making of a so-called "Exit Bag" — a plastic bag with a drawstring to put over one’s head — were marked, the affidavit contends.

Police also found records of purchases locally for items to make the kit.

The affidavit also claims that in two interviews with detectives, Chamberlain — while not confessing to the alleged crime — did claim that "he would not go to prison and if that possibility ever arose, he would commit suicide before being arrested."

The comments purportedly were made to police while Chamberlain was in the care of St. Joseph’s Marion Center — after threatening to kill himself.

After his release from the facility, Chamberlain allegedly cut himself off from his children and chose to stay in motel rooms rather than return home, court documents claim.

VanderWarf said Jean Chamberlain was wheelchair-bound and needed aid caring for herself following an apparent stroke. She had been investigating the possibility of moving to a longterm healthcare facility prior to her death, he added.

In addition to the evidence gathered from financial records, computers and the couple’s home, police sought and were granted permission to exhume Mrs. Chamberlain’s remains. Specific autopsy results were not released, but VanderWarf said he understood medical examiners found evidence of asphyxiation.

The defendant is scheduled for an initial court appearance Wednesday morning in Ogden.


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.