Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

Ex-WVC officer charged with manslaughter in Willard shooting

County D.A. Sim Gill made the announcement; the officer’s attorney calls the decision to prosecute “politically motivated.”

First Published Jun 19 2014 10:34 am • Last Updated Jun 19 2014 10:12 pm

Nineteen months after Danielle Willard was shot to death, Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill announced Thursday he had charged one of the West Valley City detectives involved with second-degree felony manslaughter.

The charge was filed against former West Valley City narcotics Detective Shaun Cowley in 3rd District Court. However, Gill opted not to charge Kevin Salmon, the other detective who fired his weapon at Willard.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Cowley was booked into the Salt Lake County jail on Thursday afternoon, but he soon posted $10,000 bail, according to the jail’s website.

Lindsay Jarvis, Cowley’s attorney, called the decision to prosecute "politically motivated." She said in a written statement her client learned that charges had been filed against him while watching a live televised press conference where Gill announced the charges. Cowley then voluntarily surrendered to the jail.

"In spite of Sim Gill’s public presentation of manipulated evidence, which was both unethical and prejudicial, we are confident that Detective Cowley will prevail at trial," Jarvis said. "Sadly, this case has been used as a political platform for Sim Gill to continue his re-election endeavors, as opposed to being analyzed fairly and impartially."

Willard’s mother, Melissa Kennedy, said she was pleased with Gill’s decision.

"Cowley’s the one that murdered her," Kennedy said. "He’s the one that shot the gun. He’s the one that raised the level of force.

"I would have preferred murder" charges, Kennedy added, "but if manslaughter is all we can get, I will be happy with that."

Ian Adams, a spokesman for the Utah chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police, was glad Salmon was not charged, but criticized the count against Cowley and how long it took for Gill to make a decision. He said it took the district attorney almost 600 days to make a determination about officers who had only seconds to make their decisions.

"This is not going to be a successful felony case," Adams said, "not the way it was handled."

story continues below
story continues below

It is rare in Utah for a police officer to be charged with homicide.

The most recent case was a Taylorsville police officer, who was charged with negligent homicide, a class A misdemeanor, for allegedly killing a motorist while attempting to join a police pursuit in February 2007. As part of a deal, the officer pleaded guilty to three lesser traffic violations and was sentenced to a fine and probation.

Other than that case, veteran prosecutors could not remember another instance of a Utah police officer being charged with a crime for killing someone.

The charge against Cowley ends months of debate about whether criminal counts should be filed and why Gill was taking so long to make a decision.

Cowley, 33, and Salmon were conducting a drug investigation in the area of 2290 W. Lexington Park Drive (3710 South), when they shot at and killed Willard, 21, as she backed a car from a parking spot Nov. 2, 2012.

Nine months later, Gill announced the shooting was not justified under Utah law, but he waited until Thursday to announce the criminal charge.

In the interim, the Willard shooting sparked protests from people who saw it as an example of excessive force by police. The shooting also led to spiraling investigations of the West Valley City Police Department’s neighborhood narcotics unit, resulting in discipline for its detectives and hundreds of criminal cases being dismissed. The longtime police chief, Buzz Nielsen, resigned for what he said were health reasons.

Cowley was fired — not for the shooing, but for mishandling evidence found in his car after the shooting. He has been fighting his termination and has an appeal hearing scheduled for Aug. 25 before the city’s civil service commission.

Salmon has been on paid leave pending the decision on criminal charges.

West Valley City Police Chief Lee Russo said during a Thursday afternoon news conference that the city is prepared to move forward with the appeal process for Cowley.

As for Salmon, Russo said now that the district attorney has declined to file charges, the department’s investigation could be completed within 30 days.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.