Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Temple Mountain San Rafael Swell north of Hanksville. File photo by Ryan Galbraith/ The Salt Lake Tribune)
Hiking couple OK after long trek out of San Rafael Desert to find help
Emery County » Man hiked 23 miles to Interstate 70, flagged down bus.
First Published Jun 17 2014 01:10 pm • Last Updated Jun 17 2014 09:31 pm

A missing couple are safe and well after the man hiked out of the San Rafael Desert, flagged down a bus, and then helped an Emery County sheriff’s deputy locate his girlfriend.

Dayne Aristizabal from Spanish Fork and Saryn Stratton from Provo.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Janalee Luke said Dayne Aristizabal, 27, of Spanish Fork, and 22-year-old Saryn Stratton of Provo had been reported missing Monday afternoon by their families after they were overdue from a Sunday morning hike in the rugged, remote area.

The couple’s vehicle was located near the Baptist Draw Trailhead and a search by ground and air ensued.

About 10:30 p.m. Monday, a helicopter crew spotted a glowing fire ring and an arrow pointing south. Thirty minutes later, sheriff’s dispatchers were told that a Greyhound bus had picked up a man on Interstate 70 who claimed to have been lost in the wilderness for two days.

"A deputy located the bus, pulled it over, and took the man with him to aid in the search for the missing female. He advised that his female hiking companion was approximately 13 miles south of I-70 on Muddy Creek," Luke stated.

Stratton was located at 11:30 p.m.

Aristizabal told deputies that he had become concerned with gathering storm clouds and the potential for flash flooding in the slot canyons, so he and Stratton moved off the trail to find higher ground. Soon after, the couple realized they were lost.

After hiking together about 12 miles, Aristizabal decided to continue on alone to find help. It was estimated he covered an additional 23 miles before reaching I-70.

Other than slight dehydration, both hikers were in good condition and refused medical treatment.

story continues below
story continues below


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.