Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Lawyer wanting to film divorce cases prompts Utah courts to yell ‘cut’

Proposal came about because a family law attorney wanted to film cases.

< Previous Page

Johnson has submitted more than a dozen requests to the court to allow him to record divorce hearings. All but one have been systematically denied.

In an effort to meet the court halfway, Johnson said, he told judges he would black out names, blur faces, alter voices, even, if there was a concern about the privacy of those involved.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

In documents submitted to the court, Johnson outlined his argument for access: he was running his YouTube channel as a news source, akin to a blog or podcast; there are multiple volunteer reporters enlisted to record hearings and create video for the channel; he has even begun to solicit advertisers, to legitimize his news organization.

When he learned about the rule change proposal last month, Johnson said, he was furious.

"Transparency should make for courts functioning better and people being better served by the system," he said.


Twitter: @Marissa_Jae

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.