Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

Utah ‘Mountain Man’ burglar gets 10½ years in federal prison
Courts » Troy Knapp will spend at least 10½ years in prison on numerous federal and state charges.
First Published Jun 09 2014 07:16 am • Last Updated Jun 09 2014 09:08 pm

St. George • After six years of living off the land — oftentimes at the expense of Utah cabin owners — Troy Knapp, the so-called "Mountain Man," will spend at least 10½ years behind bars.

Before sentencing Knapp to 126 months in prison for firing on law enforcement before his arrest last year, U.S. District Judge Ted Stewart told Knapp that he posed "a rather interesting picture."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The judge told the wilderness survivalist that it was unfortunate he had used his intellect and skills in a criminal way.

"You obviously are a man of some intelligence and resourcefulness for you to survive how you have, and elude law enforcement as you did," the judge said as Knapp nodded in agreement.

For about six years before his capture, Knapp weathered the winter months in the mountains of southern and central Utah by breaking into cabins, where he often stole firearms and food.

"You perhaps ought to write a book," Stewart said. "You’re going to have time to write a book."

In April, Knapp, 46, pleaded guilty in federal court to use of a firearm during a violent crime. As part of a plea agreement, charges of assaulting a federal officer and being a felon in possession of a firearm were dismissed.

Federal prosecutor Matthew Bell told the judge that everyone involved in Knapp’s capture — including the helicopter pilot who was shot at — was on board with the plea agreement and proposed sentence.

Less than hour after the federal sentence was handed down, Knapp appeared in district court, where he resolved cases filed in seven counties — pleading guilty to 10 counts of second-degree felony burglary.

After the pleas, 5th District Judge Eric Ludlow sentenced Knapp to one to 15 years on each case. But Ludlow ordered that the state sentences run concurrently to one another, as well as to the federal court sentence.

story continues below
story continues below

Knapp, clean-cut and dressed in an orange jail jumpsuit, said little during both hearings Monday. His attorney, Kathy Nester, told the judge that Knapp appreciated prosecutors negotiating the plea deal, and added that he has worked with state and federal authorities to locate a number of stolen weapons since his arrest.

"Thirteen handguns, two rifles and a shotgun were recovered," Nester said. "They were exactly where Mr. Knapp advised law enforcement they would be."

Two cabin owners from Garfield County were in attendance at the hearings Monday, but did not speak at the sentencing.

After the hearing, Sanpete County Attorney Brody Keisel said that the process of coming to the plea agreement was like "herding cats," because of the number of state and federal officials, law enforcement agencies and victims involved in the case.

"It was quite an undertaking," Keisel said.

He emphasized that once Knapp’s federal sentence is complete, he will be transported back to Utah, where he will appear before the parole board. That panel will decide whether he should be released or continue serving up to another 4½ years in state prison. Knapp has requested to serve his time at a medium-security federal prison in Oregon.

Defense attorney Jay Winward said outside of court that Knapp was satisfied with Monday’s proceedings.

"This was a just outcome, and it was a great resolution," Winward said. "… Mr. Knapp is very grateful that it came together in a way that justice was served and yet he can move forward."

Knapp managed to elude cabin owners and law enforcement officers for years as he broke into Utah cabins during the winter months for shelter and supplies.

Authorities finally got a solid lead on his whereabouts in April 2013 from a group of people collecting antlers on central Utah’s Ferron Mountain who reported seeing someone who looked like the wanted man.

Emery County deputies tracked Knapp for several days, as he wandered near the Ferron Reservoir area of Sanpete County.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.