Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah man booked into jail for 1988 toddler’s slaying
Louis Duran » Being held on $1 million cash-only bail in girl’s death.
First Published May 30 2014 11:36 am • Last Updated May 30 2014 10:12 pm

A Salt Lake City man was behind bars Friday, the day after being charged in connection with the slaying of a toddler almost three decades ago.

Louis Mark Duran, 53, was arrested Thursday after being charged in 3rd District Court with second-degree murder, a first-degree felony carrying up to life in prison, in the 1988 death of a 15-month-old girl in Salt Lake City.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said the charges stemmed from a "cold case" investigative review by Salt Lake City police detectives.

Details on exactly when and where Duran was arrested were not immediately released, but he was being held in lieu of $1 million cash-only bail at the Weber County Jail. No date for an initial court appearance has been set.

Prosecutors allege that Duran was watching the toddler — identified in court documents by only her initials, V.N. — on Oct. 3, 1988, when the child was found dead in the man’s home from "multiple blunt force trauma."

Recently, a detective was able to locate and interview several witnesses — including the alleged victim’s mother and Duran — about events leading up to the death of the child. The detective determined the case had been "inappropriately closed" the same year, according to court documents.

The day the girl died, her mother and Duran’s sister left to run errands about 1:30 p.m., leaving the child in Duran’s care. By the time Nieto returned five hours later, the girl was blue and not breathing, according to the charges.

Duran told Nieto that he did not know what happened, but did say, "I’m sorry, I’m sorry," the charges add.

A medical examiner recently reviewed the initial autopsy and determined the girl suffered blows to the head, which caused fatal complications.

story continues below
story continues below

In a recent interview with detectives Duran said that he was taking care of the girl the day she died and that no other adult was there. While he admitted to having caused bite marks on the girl’s forearm and face, he "otherwise said he couldn’t tell the officers what happened that day," according to the charges.


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.