Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Suspected gunman in N. Logan hospital incident improves

Shooting » Jason Burr allegedly went to ER with handguns, was shot by lawman.

First Published May 20 2014 06:22 am • Last Updated May 20 2014 09:19 pm

The condition of a North Logan man, shot multiple times during a hospital confrontation with law enforcement officers, has improved and he is expected to recover.

North Park Police Chief Kim Hawkes said his agency had been notified on Monday that 34-year-old Jason James Burr, who underwent surgery over the weekend, was conscious and would soon be moved into a room where he could be questioned by detectives.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Hawkes said he had no other information about Burr’s injuries he could share at this time, other than that he was "stable and improved" from his earlier critical condition. Staff at University Hospital in Salt Lake City also were restricted by medical privacy laws from providing details.

Hawkes, whose agency serves North Logan and neighboring Hyde Park, said the 8:10 a.m. Friday shooting occurred when Burr, reportedly on pain pills for a back problem and upset over the results of an earlier visit, entered Cache Valley Hospital and made unspecified demands of emergency room staff — while wielding two handguns.

Hospital security rushed into ER, ordering the area locked down as they did. Their attempts to talk down Burr failed, and he then confronted one of two Adult Probation and Parole agents who were in the hospital foyer.

The suspect allegedly pointed his weapons toward the agent and four shots were fired; Burr was struck three times.

The Utah Department of Corrections said that the AP&P officers happened to be at the hospital on an unrelated matter. The officers are on administrative pending a shooting review.

Utah court records show that Burr was charged in 2010 with three counts of second-degree felony drug possession and three counts of third-degree felony falsely obtaining a prescription. He pleaded guilty in 1st District Court to two third-degree felony counts of falsely obtaining a prescription and the other counts were dismissed.

He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and three years’ probation. He also was ordered to complete drug and alcohol counseling and pay an $800 fine.

Burr’s probation was terminated in October 2011.

story continues below
story continues below

In 2013, a judge reduced his convictions from third-degree felonies to class B misdemeanors.


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.