Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utahn pleads guilty to auto homicide in death of Caffe Ibis owner
Courts » Alvin Henson pleads guilty to second-degree felony automobile homicide.
First Published May 19 2014 05:20 pm • Last Updated May 19 2014 07:22 pm

A Cache County man admitted Monday that he drove drunk and caused a car accident that killed the co-owner of a Logan coffee company.

Alvin Blaine Henson, 40, of Millville, pleaded guilty to second-degree felony automobile homicide in connection with the April death of Randy Wirth, according to Cache County Attorney James Swink.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Two misdemeanors charges related to being an alcohol restricted driver and not having a DUI interlock system in the car Henson was driving were dismissed in exchange for his guilty plea, Swink said.

"A life was taken, so there was no movement on the [felony] charge," Swink said in regards to settlement negotiations. "He did something terribly wrong. It was a tragedy for the family and the community, so the second-degree felony was non-negotiable. We’re glad he has taken some responsibility."

Henson faces up to 15 years in prison when sentenced on June 30.

Wirth, 67 — who co-owned Caffe Ibis Coffee Roasting Co. in downtown Logan with wife, Sally Sears — suffered fatal injuries in the April 10 crash and died two days later.

Police believe that just after 7:30 p.m. on April 10, Henson was driving a pickup truck east on 200 South in Millville. Witnesses described his driving as erratic, according Cache County sheriff’s authorities.

Henson’s truck crossed into the westbound lanes and hit a Cadillac DeVille near 140 West. Somehow, Wirth — who was driving a motorcycle — was also struck during the accident, according to authorities.

Wirth was taken in an ambulance to Logan Regional Hospital. A helicopter then flew him to McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden, where he later died.

Deputies who responded to the crash immediately recognized evidence of alcohol use with both Henson and his 29-year-old passenger, according to police. The two had suffered minor injuries and were taken to Logan Regional Hospital.

story continues below
story continues below

Henson had previously pleaded guilty in January 2013 to a DUI, and was sentenced to 12 months probation and two days in jail.


Twitter: @jm_miller

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.