Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Courtesy image Screenshots from a live webcam of peregrine falcons born in a nest box on the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in downtown Salt Lake City.
First two peregrine chicks hatch; two eggs remain
SLC nest box » New male falcon takes to nesting like a champ.
First Published May 16 2014 08:24 am • Last Updated May 16 2014 10:15 pm

The first of what could be four chicks for the peregrine falcons in the nest box on the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in downtown Salt Lake City hatched overnight and was enjoying breakfast in bed about 8:45 a.m. Friday.

Not long after, perhaps motivated by the smell of breakfast, the second of four eggs in the high rise nest box hatched.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

All this was witnessed live by anybody who was watching via one of two webcams in the nest box. The other two eggs should hatch in the coming days

Bob Walters, part of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources’ Watchable Wildlife had predicted, using a general rule of hatching, that the first egg would hatch on May 15 or 16.

The falcons of 2013 laid four eggs but only one hatched. That bird, named Solo, crashed into a building while learning to fly on July 3 and eventually died from its injuries.

The female from last year has returned, but she has a new male with her. Observers of the webcam site managed by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources say the new male seems to be showing more interest in incubating than his predecessor.

"People watching the live webcam are saying the female has had to chase the male off the eggs; that he is reluctant to leave his duties," Walters said. "That is an encouraging sign."

Walters hypothesizes that the new male could be the same falcon that showed up last year; soon afterward the male from 2013 was found injured with a dislocated shoulder.

"It is possible that the injury could have happened during an aggression battle for territory and that this could be the bird that did it," Walters said. "It is hard to tell."

The male from last year was eventually euthanized due to the extent of its injuries.

story continues below
story continues below



Twitter: @BrettPrettyman and @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.