Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

17-year-old girl pleads not guilty in Utah deputies’ shootings
Courts » She is charged in a shooting spree that left one officer dead and another wounded.
First Published May 12 2014 09:22 am • Last Updated May 16 2014 02:06 am

Provo • Meagan Grunwald is the only person alive who knows what happened Jan. 30 as she and her boyfriend tore through two counties as he shot at police, killing one Utah County law enforcement officer and wounding another.

She’s the only one who knows what was going through her head — whether she was in on the crimes, as prosecutors have said, or "scared to death," as her lawyer claimed. She’s the only one who can explain why she was in the truck with 27-year-old Jose Angel Garcia-Jauregui and what happened in the moments before he started shooting.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

On Monday, the 17-year-old told a judge she is not guilty in the 10 felonies and two misdemeanors for which she was charged in the shooting spree that left an officer — and her boyfriend — dead.

Grunwald, a petite teen with wavy brown hair, quietly answered "yes" as 4th District Judge Darold McDade asked her whether she was pleading not guilty of her own accord and whether she understood what that plea means.

In the immediate future, lawyers on both sides said, it means setting a trial date.

Grunwald is charged as an adult with aggravated murder for the Jan. 30 death of Utah County sheriff’s Sgt. Cory Wride on a road near Lehi, and attempted aggravated murder for the wounding of Utah County sheriff’s Deputy Greg Sherwood in Santaquin.

She also faces two counts of discharge of a firearm, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and aggravated robbery — all first-degree felonies — as well as obstructing justice, failure to respond to an officer, possession or use of a controlled substance and lesser charges of felony discharge of a firearm and misdemeanor criminal mischief and violation of operator duties after an accident.

All told, Grunwald could be sentenced to up to life in prison if convicted.

"It’s a terrible case. We mourn, as the whole community does, for this dead police officer," Grunwald’s defense attorney Dean Zabriskie said after the hearing. "But no one has heard her side of the story."

If the case goes to trial, Zabriskie said, Grunwald would take the stand in her own defense and tell her side.

story continues below
story continues below

It’s a story of fear, he said. A story of how a 17-year-old girl went from high school senior to murder suspect in a flash of gunfire and screech of rubber on road.

"She was scared to death," he said, adding that now, she’s in jail — "a minor in an adult world."

Grunwald is being held behind bars on a $1 million cash-only bail.

She was ordered last month to stand trial after a judge found there was enough probable cause — in dash-cam footage, photographs and witness testimony — to move the case forward.

About 1 p.m. on Jan. 30, Wride stopped his patrol car on State Road 73 about 5 miles west of Lehi to check on a Toyota Tundra pickup that was pulled over on the shoulder of the road.

He took information from Grunwald, who was allegedly driving the truck, and then sat back down inside his patrol car to cross-reference it.

That’s when the man in the passenger seat allegedly opened the back sliding window of the truck and opened fire.

Seven gunshots were fired in Wride’s direction, testified Utah County investigator Sgt. Scott Finch, at the April preliminary hearing. The first two pierced the windshield and killed Wride.

The pickup tore away, officials said, beginning a high-speed manhunt that led officers on a two-county chase that would result in the wounding of another law enforcement official and leave several cars damaged and the shooter fatally wounded along the way.

Police believe the girl was behind the wheel when she and Garcia-Jauregui met Sherwood in Santaquin more than an hour after Wride was shot.

Dash-cam video from Sherwood’s patrol vehicle shows that he caught up to the truck as it was going west on the town’s Main Street.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.