Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Two who were killed by carbon monoxide in Utah identified as step-brothers
First Published May 10 2014 12:01 pm • Last Updated May 10 2014 10:10 pm

Richfield police on Saturday identified the two killed by carbon monoxide poisoning as step-brothers Joey Julander Tong, 17, and Tyler Utley, 21.

They died at their Richfield home Friday, and two of their friends, Kennedee Starr, 14, of Annabella, and Vannesa Batistic, 19, of Elsinore, were sent to the hospital.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The step-brothers’ bodies were discovered by their father when he came home from work about 7:20 p.m. The young men’s friends, Starr and Batistic, were also found in the home in a "lethargic" condition.

Richfield Police Department Chief John Evans said Saturday that Batistic remains in Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in serious condition. Starr was released Saturday from Sevier Valley Hospital.

One of the victims told investigators the power to the house had been shut off on Wednesday; Evans added that was due to "non-payment."

Since Wednesday, the four had been using a small generator for power. The generator was inside the house and the occupants opened at least some of the windows when it was running, according to police.

The family had been struggling financially; Utley and Julander Tong’s father was pulling 12-hour shifts "trying to catch up on things," said Kevin Kitchen, the family’s Mormon bishop.

The church is trying to establish a fund to help the family with the funeral costs, and hope to have it set up by Monday. In the meantime, relatives and the community have been rallying around a family who already lost another member — Utley’s grandmother — a few weeks ago, Kitchen said.

pmanson@sltrib.com

Twitter: PamelaMansonSLC


story continues below
story continues below



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.