Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Steve Griffin | The Salt Lake Tribune) Unified Police Sheriff James Winder talks to the media during a press conference, in Salt Lake City, Utah Friday, May 2, 2014, announcing that the department has solved the 1989 cold case murder of Flora Rundle. Gary Dean Hilfiker has been charged with criminal homicide of Rundle. Hilfiker is currently serving time in the Utah State Prison for another murder.
Police: Utah cold case murder solved

Crime » Flora Rundle, 71, was found dead in her home in October 1989.

By Erin Alberty

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published May 02 2014 12:25 pm • Last Updated May 03 2014 11:00 am

Police say they have solved the murder of a woman who was stabbed to death 24 years ago in South Salt Lake.

Family members of Flora Rundle, 71, found her body inside her home Oct. 22, 1989, after they hadn’t heard from her for a few days, Unified Police wrote in a news release Friday. Rundle had been stabbed 11 times and suffered blunt force trauma, according to court records.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Detectives at the time could find no suspects, police wrote. UPD last year received federal funds to reopen the case and found DNA evidence that was collected from Rundle, police wrote. The profile matched that of Gary Hilfiker, a 56-year-old who is serving a sentence for an unrelated homicide in 1992, police wrote.

Investigators learned that Rundle typically used taxis for transportation, and that Hilfiker was a cabdriver who had driven Rundle several times, police wrote. Hilfiker, interviewed in prison, admitted to killing Rundle, police wrote in court documents. He said he took a knife to her home and broke in to steal money, investigators wrote. He said he was confronted by Rundle, so he stabbed her and took "a couple hundred dollars" from her purse, police wrote.

Prosecutors have reviewed the case, and Hilfiker has been charged with criminal homicide, a first-degree felony, in Rundle’s death. If convicted, Hilfiker could face the death penalty or up to life in prison; Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said in a news release that he had not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty.

The case was one of several cold cases that have been reopened since UPD received a federal grant for $300,000 to investigate old cases that may be solved with new DNA technology. For example, scientists can obtain DNA information from much smaller amounts of biological material than they could just a few years ago, said Capt. Don Hutson. Hutson would not specify what evidence was taken from Rundle, or what technological advances allowed investigators to isolate Hilfiker’s DNA. He would only say that the evidence used to identify Hilfiker was originally collected by detectives who couldn’t have known it would eventually provide usable DNA; the potential for DNA evidence was recognized by investigators who reopened the case last year with new funding.

"Twenty-five years ago, detectives were gathering up those samples presciently," Sheriff Jim Winder said, noting that it also was fortunate that the evidence was preserved well enough for samples.

"I’m proud of that," Winder said.

He estimated the department has 35 homicide and missing person cases that are considered "cold" — that is, they have been stalled for about two years or more. Reopening those cases involves thorough scrutiny of evidence not just for potential DNA but also whether DNA information would help identify a suspect and indicate guilt, Winder said.

"We wish they could just test anything," Winder said, but that would overburden the crime lab with "shots in the dark."

story continues below
story continues below

Hilfiker previously was convicted of murder and aggravated arson in the 1992 death of Marsha Haverty. Hilfiker stabbed the 38-year-old woman up to 10 times in her Salt Lake City home, poured kerosene over her and set her ablaze. In a parole hearing in 2010, he told the Board of Pardons and Parole that he killed Haverty, who was his friend, in a drug-fueled, "discombobulated state" when she tried to talk him out of killing himself. Hilfiker said he was despondent after a failed romance, and in trying to talk him out of suicide, Haverty and Hilfiker began arguing over Hilfiker’s drug use. Hilfiker said he stabbed Haverty and lit her body on fire out of panic after he realized she was dead.

Hilfiker then said he had become a born-again Christian in 2001.

The board had set his parole date for 2022.

Tribune reporter Jessica Miller contributed to this report.


Twitter: @erinalberty

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.