Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Counties deploy new Utah law in fight over wild horses
Public land » State crafting legal tools for Utah counties to have greater say on public land use.

< Previous Page

Meanwhile, the BLM spends $72 million a year on its wild horse program, gathering hundreds of horses, administering contraceptives to mares and adopting out as many as the public can take. More than 50,000 horses are corralled for life at enormous public expense.

The counties have agreed to postpone any roundup until July, when foaling season is over, even though they say horses are causing the most damage now as leafy forage emerges with the spring.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

And the BLM this week began an environmental review of a new proposal to remove several hundred horses from Iron and Beaver counties’ horse management areas. But that plan will compete for funding with other proposals for BLM roundups around the West.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.