Cleaning supplies caused sickening odors at Utah strip mall

Published April 25, 2014 2:56 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A strip mall around a Cottonwood Heights TJ Maxx was evacuated Friday morning after an odorous gas from cleaning supplies sickened several employees.

Staff reported about 9 a.m. that they smelled a strange odor and some began suffering dizziness, throat irritation and numbness in their hands while at the TJ Maxx store at 6995 S. 1300 East, said Cottonwood Heights police Sgt. Corbett Ford.

About 10:30 a.m., the source was identified as cleaning supplies used in the air ducts of a vacant neighboring store that is being prepared for use as a Trader Joe's, Ford said.

Crews removed the supplies and lifted the evacuation.