Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Roy day care operator charged in child’s death appears in court
First Published Apr 15 2014 12:09 pm • Last Updated Apr 17 2014 10:04 pm

Ogden • The operator of a Roy child care facility made her initial appearance in court Tuesday, a week after she was charged in connection with the death of a child left with her two months ago.

Tisha Lynn Morley, 33, is charged in Ogden’s 2nd District Court with first-degree felony child abuse homicide.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

She appeared in court Tuesday out of custody, having posted a $10,000 bond on her $100,000 bail.

A public defender was assigned to her case, and another court date — May 20 — was set for the woman to decide whether she wants a preliminary hearing.

Roy police spokesman Bryce Weir said that on Feb. 19, the father of the infant went to pick up the baby, along with the child’s 3-year-old brother, at Tots & Tykes Day Care. He found the baby cold and unresponsive.

The father took the boy to a local emergency room where doctors allegedly discovered the infant had sustained a head injury. The child, who was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, eventually died on Feb. 28.

"The victim suffered a skull fracture and trauma to the brain from shaking and impact-inflicted trauma. The trauma was classified as non-accidental," Weir stated. "The medical examiner ruled the manner of death as a homicide with the cause of injury being blunt force injury of the head."

Weir said Tuesday that the delay between the child’s death and the woman’s arrest was due to the amount of time needed to complete their investigation.

"It takes time to get all the information together," he said. "Especially on a homicide case, it just flat-out takes time."

In spite of the baby’s death and suspension of her day care license, Morley continued to provide day care services, police have said.

story continues below
story continues below

Then on March 27, a 3-year-old child allegedly suffered a broken leg while at Tots & Tykes Day Care.

No charges had been filed in connection with that injury as of Tuesday.


Twitter: @jm_miller

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.