Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Layton fire does $40,000 damage
Public safety » Four people escape early morning blaze
First Published Apr 12 2014 11:52 am • Last Updated Apr 12 2014 10:12 pm

An early morning fire at a manufactured home in Layton caused $40,000 damage but resulted in no injuries.

Doug Bitton, the public information officer for the Layton Fire Department, said a call came in at 3:54 a.m. about a fire at Lakeview Estates, 2600 N. Hill Field Road. When crews responded, they could see the flames.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Two adult males and two children, ages four and two, escaped. One of the residents broke a window to retrieve a dog from its kennel. The dog and a pet iguana survived, but a cat perished in the fire.

"This was a courageous act, but we highly recommend that firefighters perform rescue because they have all the protective equipment," said Bitton. "The time for fire crews to extinguish the fire took approximately 10 minutes."

Bitton said fire investigators suspect the fire started in a laundry room area near a dryer. It appears either the vents to the intake heating element were blocked by clothes that had dropped behind it or there was an electrical problem with the dryer.

"This trailer was equipped with smoke alarms, but they did not operate," said Bitton. "These devices are a lifeline for people, especially during the night hours. Test them monthly."

One adult woke up and was able to wake and alert the other occupants.

The Red Cross offered the four a place to say, but the men and children had family nearby.




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.