Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Sex crimes dismissed against former Utah youth home director
Cedar City » Prosecutors say several alleged victims lied about the charges.
First Published Apr 08 2014 10:03 am • Last Updated Apr 08 2014 10:30 pm

Rape and child sex-abuse charges have been dismissed against the former executive director of a Cedar City home for troubled girls after prosecutors learned that some of the alleged victims lied to investigators.

Daniel Sandberg Taylor, 43, was charged last June in 5th District Court with three counts each of rape and aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The three alleged victims were all staying at Integrity House, a residential treatment center for troubled girls 12 to 17 years old.

Prosecutors last Friday filed a motion to dismiss the charges, saying it was discovered during follow-up investigation "that several of the alleged victims and witnesses lied about the underlying charges."

The motion also says that several of the alleged victims were "unable and unwilling to participate in the prosecution due to sever psychiatric and emotional issues."

Judge G. Michael Westfall dismissed the case without prejudice, meaning prosecutors cannot refile the charges.

A statement issued by defense attorney Blaine Hofeling said Taylor is "gratified" by the dismissal of all charges by Iron County prosecutors.

"Mr. Taylor has at all times maintained and continues to maintain his innocence," the statement says. "Mr. Taylor looks forward to trying to rebuild his life and wishes to express gratitude to those who have continued to believe in his innocence and who have provided invaluable support to him."

Also charged last June was Jamie Frost, 29, identified as a student/family advocate at Integrity House. Frost was charged with two counts of class B misdemeanor assault in the Iron County justice court. Court documents do not include information about the alleged crimes, except to say that they occurred on June 1, 2013.

In October, Frost entered a guilty plea in abeyance to one of the assault counts and the other was dismissed.

story continues below
story continues below


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.