Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Church gave to former police officer, and he gave back
Community » LDS ward members supported him during heart procedures; his example boosted spirits of congregation.
First Published Apr 01 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Apr 01 2014 03:37 pm

Kevin Meik stood in the back of the church, unsure if he wanted to stay.

The 58-year-old man had left religion when he was 16; he had married a girl who wasn’t Mormon. They had children, he became a cop, he retired, and in all that time he had never stepped again into an LDS meetinghouse on Sunday.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

That is, until his heart was going to kill him. Four years ago, under the shadow of death, Meik went to church for the first time in 42 years.

Two months ago, someone shot and killed him in his Sandy home; the police still do not know who did it. But before he died, Meik saved a church, a soldier and — as far as his peers are concerned — his soul.

"I call it the Miracle of Kevin Meik," said Wayne Hull, a high priest in Salt Lake City’s Emerson LDS Ward.

Leaders in Hull’s ward, a group of eight men, felt they were going through the motions and had lost a sense of purpose. And that was when, stepping out of a meeting, Hull saw Meik standing in the back.

"He’s standing there wondering, ‘Do I really want to do this?’ " Hull said. "I said Kevin, ‘Why don’t you come in and be with us.’ "

Meik sat down in a meeting with the church higher-ups and his face had turned bright red.

"I asked him, ‘Kevin, are you OK?’ " Hull said. "He said, ‘I have to have a heart procedure, and there’s a good chance I won’t be alive next Sunday.’ "

So the leaders gathered around Meik, placed their hands on him and blessed him. Not only did Meik survive with new stents in his heart, Hull said, but he also came back to church. His heart troubled him again, and they blessed him again, and so on, for weeks. There was a strong chance that each time Meik needed another procedure, he would not survive it, Hull said.

story continues below
story continues below

"There were four or five near-death experiences that he had, and each time that it happened, we gathered around and we blessed him and he rallied," Hull said. And each time that happened, the once-directionless church leaders "grew in strength by helping him."

"The hearts of these men had changed," Hull said. "They were nurturing and loving Kevin and while they were doing that, they changed. … There was an incredible energy, loving energy emanating from them. They brought other people out, [too]."

And that change was spreading. When Meik walked into that first leadership meeting, there were eight men. By the time he died, there were 18.

Meik’s influence spread. Hull knew a veteran who was suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder and needed a place to live. Meik volunteered to convert his basement into an apartment for the vet.

"[The vet’s] psychiatrist said to him, ‘I’m amazed that you are still alive,’ " Hull said. "Part of the reason he’s alive is because of Kevin Meik."

Meik’s health was returning, too. After several months, the church ordained him an elder. A year later, and still in good health, they ordained him a high priest.

"Kevin coming into our world provided a chance to save him," Hull said, "and through that, we saved ourselves."

Meik and a friend eventually started visiting The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints temples every week. On Jan. 29, his friend was waiting for him — they were supposed to go to the Mount Timpanogos Temple in American Fork.

Meik never showed.

The friend, concerned, called Meik’s daughter. She in turn called the police. When officers arrived at Meik’s home, they found his body. Someone had shot him in the head.

Police are awaiting DNA test results to help them find his killer.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.