Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
House fire displaces Kearns family
An "avoidable" fire that started on a stove damaged a Kearns home Tuesday afternoon, displacing a family of six.
The fire burned a home at 3990 W. Zodiac Drive (6020 South), according to Unified Fire Capt. Fitzgerald Petersen. Crews got word of the blaze at 2:09 p.m., and when they arrived found smoke and flames coming out of the home's second story.
Petersen said the firefighters knocked the flames down within five minutes. A 14-year-old boy and a police officer both suffered from smoke inhalation. Petersen said the boy had rushed back into the home in an attempt to save a pet.
Fire crews later found an unconscious cat in the home, which they managed to revive by giving it oxygen.
Petersen said the fire began when someone left something cooking on the stove top and walked out of the room. The pot then flared up and ignited the house. Petersen said that the blaze was therefore avoidable and stressed that any time something is cooking someone should be around to watch it.
"It requires no time for that to flare up," Petersen said, adding that thousands of fires start nationwide every year because people leave cooking food unattended.
The fire left the home unlivable, Petersen said, but he did not have an immediate estimate of the damage.
The Red Cross said it was providing food and shelter to the four adults and two children who lived there.