West Valley City fire investigators believe a left-over ember, not arson, was the reason crews had to rush to douse a blaze in a vacant home for the second time in as many days.
West Valley City Fire Marshal Bob Fitzgerald said the home at 6000 W. 4100 South had been the location of a fire on Monday, thought to have spread from a fireplace. The house is vacant while renovation work is being done.
However, crews were back at the same residence on Tuesday morning, this time after 911 calls reporting flames coming out of the home’s roof were reported about 4:45 a.m.
"It’s not arson," Fitzgerald said. "We’re thinking something, an ember, left behind just flared up again."
Fitzgerald said the initial fire was accidental, and the secondary fire started either from something smoldering in the insulation or from an electrical problem after power was restored.
Damage was estimated at between $80,000 and $100,000.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.