Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Retired Utah cop’s murder investigation a waiting game
Sandy » Police await DNA results on evidence from the former officer’s home.
First Published Apr 01 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Apr 01 2014 03:37 pm

Kevin Meik was a good, methodical cop.

That’s how Michael Fierro remembers the police officer he supervised when they both wore Salt Lake City badges. Meik "didn’t slouch away from anything," Fierro said. "If there was work to be done, he did it."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But when it comes to Meik’s murder, the work is in a holding pattern.

It’s frustrating for the now-retired Fierro to see a lack of publicity and progress, from an outsider’s perspective, on his former brother-in-blue’s homicide investigation. It’s been more than two months since someone shot and killed Meik in his Sandy home on Jan. 29.

And while the investigators wait on results from a backlogged lab, the answers remain out of reach.

Sandy police sent several items from the 63-year-old man’s home at 9032 S. Waters Circle (1515 East) to the state crime laboratory for forensic testing, but have yet to see the results and are waiting to move forward until they do. The detectives expected a quicker turnaround, but understand that the lab’s small staff is burdened trying to keep up with the constant and growing tide of casework.

"We know they’re hammered," as Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold put it.

Given how long it’s been since Meik was a policeman — he retired in August 1988 for medical reasons — nothing in the case so far seems to be related to his law enforcement career, Arnold said.

Meanwhile, Meik’s family members no longer feel safe in their own homes, said his daughter Karen Schultz. The family had been "kind of prepared for finding him gone because of his heart issues," Schultz said, "but the murder, it’s a totally different creature."

The mysteries have complicated the family’s ability to mourn. Arnold understands that the past two months have not been easy for Meik’s loved ones, but some investigations cannot be hurried, he said.

story continues below
story continues below

"Our detectives have gone through the proper steps of following up on the information they receive as they receive it. There’s only so much you can do based on time restraints," Arnold said. "It is what it is. You can’t rush some of those things."

Schultz wants the FBI involved, given the family’s question about whether there is an Arizona angle to Meik’s death. The retired cop moved to Arizona in the late 1990s before abruptly returning in 2007. He arrived in Utah having only packed for a two-week stay, but then never went back to Arizona, Schultz said. His family never knew why, exactly — but they want the police to look into it.

Sandy detectives have followed up on leads in the Grand Canyon State and spoken with people there, Arnold said, but he could not comment beyond that.

Like Fierro, Schultz, too, is frustrated by an investigation she believes has — in some respects — moved too slowly.

"Someone was out for my father," Schultz said.

The morning of Jan. 29, Meik failed to meet a friend, so his family called the police. When officers arrived, a family member took them inside and found Meik’s body with a gunshot wound to the head.

There was no sign of a break-in, and, at first, investigators thought the death may have been a suicide. But further investigation proved that the wound was not self-inflicted.

Meik’s body was turned over to the state Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy.

Detectives interviewed family and friends about anyone he may have met with recently. Those talks are "pretty much concluded," Arnold said, though he added that the lab results may give the detectives reason to revisit some of those people.

Schultz last saw her father the day before he died. He looked well. They made plans for the weekend.

He had not only returned to Utah and was seeing his family several times a week, Meik also had returned to his Mormon faith.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.