Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Chlorine cloud prompts evacuation at USU animal lab
A cloud of chlorine gas in a Utah State University animal lab prompted an evacuation Friday and sent two people to the hospital.
The evacuation happened about noon after someone put Virkon, a disinfectant, into an autoclave, according to university spokesman Tim Vitale. Once in the autoclave, the Virkon combined with steam and produced chlorine gas. People nearby then began detecting a burning smell, followed by a chemical odor.
Vitale said fewer than 10 people evacuated an animal research lab. Two people went to the hospital as a precautionary measure, though Vitale said both ended up being fine.