Firefighter badly injured during blaze at Lindon's Vivint Building
A firefighter was badly injured when a wall collapsed on him during a major fire Tuesday morning in Lindon.
The Orem fire battalion chief was walking through the Vivint Building with a crew about 11 a.m. when a wall containing multiple steel doors collapsed on him, said Lindon Police Chief Cody Cullimore.
The battalion chief, whose name has not been released, suffered a broken shoulder, hip and pelvis, Cullimore said. Medics rushed him to a hospital.
The fire burned throughout the day at the warehouse-and-office complex, near 500 South and 500 West. The blaze began on the roof of the central building of three large buildings on the campus, Cullimore said. It appears to have been sparked by heat tape used to prevent freezing in the gutter system.
An employee saw the flames about 9 a.m. and tried to put them out with two fire extinguishers, Cullimore said. When the employee returned with a third extinguisher, the fire had grown beyond his control. Crews were called from Orem, Provo, Pleasant Grove and American Fork.
Cullimore estimated 400 to 500 employees were evacuated from the site, which serves as a call center for the home automation, security and energy management company. Two employees complained of smoke inhalation and were treated by medics at the scene.
As of 3:30 p.m., the fire was out but crews were still at the building while inspections were underway to ensure its stability.
See more about comments here.