Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Trent Nelson | The Salt Lake Tribune) Angel Vizuet Garcia makes his initial court appearance in Salt Lake City Wednesday, January 30, 2013. Garcia is charged with child kidnapping and other charges for his alleged actions involving a 13-year-old girl.
Utah man to stand trial for child kidnapping, sex charges

After charges were filed, judge took unusual step of clearing courtroom.

First Published Mar 07 2014 10:01 am • Last Updated Mar 07 2014 11:11 pm

West Jordan • For several days after the 13-year-old Herriman girl had returned to her home, her parents didn’t know what had taken place during the three-day period she was missing.

She told them, at first, that she had been "walking around" for days, her stepmother testified at a preliminary hearing Friday.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But one night, the parents sat the girl down in their living room and said they weren’t leaving until she told them the truth about whom she had been with while hundreds searched for the missing teen.

The stepmother testified that they sat for four hours before the teen scribbled on a piece of paper: "Angel Garcia. At the townhouse."

Angel Vizuet Garcia was ordered to stand trial Friday on child kidnapping charges, as well as newly filed charges of child sexual assault after a judge heard testimony during a preliminary hearing for the 56-year-old Draper man.

Prior to the beginning of a Friday preliminary hearing, prosecutors filed amended information charging Garcia with 10 first-degree felony sex-related counts, including sodomy on a child, rape of a child and aggravated sexual abuse of a child. Garcia was initially charged with child kidnapping, obstruction of justice and reckless endangerment in the January 2013 episode.

As the hearing began Friday morning, 3rd District Judge Bruce Lubeck took the unusual step of clearing all spectators — including the media — from the courtroom prior to the girl being called to the witness stand.

Lubeck reopened the court after the now-14-year-old girl testified, whom The Salt Lake Tribune has not identified because she is an alleged victim of sexual assault.

The newly filed charges allege Garcia sexually abused the girl after she disappeared from her Herriman home the night of Jan. 8, 2013, wearing just pajamas, no shoes and no glasses.

The new charges also allege Garcia sexually abused the girl on two occasions at his home between January 2008 and January 2012, and again in February 2012.


story continues below
story continues below

Garcia was the father of the alleged victim’s best friend, according to testimony from the girl’s father, and lived in a townhome near his ex-wife’s home.

The girl’s disappearance sparked a community-wide search, which ended when she called her grandparents from a south valley Wal-Mart store the night of Jan. 10, 2013.

The girl initially revealed that Garcia picked her up after she had called him using a pre-paid phone that Garcia had given her, according to charges.

In the time she was gone, police looked for the girl at Garcia’s home. Although she was hiding inside his home, court documents state, Garcia told investigators he had not seen the girl since July 2012.

She hid out of sight in a van as Garcia left the house to pick up his daughter from school, according to court documents.

Later that same night, Garcia — a single father of two — drove the girl to an area Wal-Mart so she could call her grandparents, according to the documents.

The allegations of sexual assault did not surface until last June during an interview with the girl by a Salt Lake County district attorney investigator, according to the amended charges filed Friday.

Deputy Salt Lake County Attorney Josh Player said outside of court Friday that the charges were added Friday after unsuccessful "settlement negotiations."

The girl said during the interview that on Jan. 9 at 2 a.m., she left her home through a window and met Garcia, who was waiting in a car on the street, according to charges. They drove to Garcia’s home, where they fell asleep in the same bed, according to charges.

Garcia will be in court again on March 17 for a scheduling conference.

The courtroom closure on Friday came after attorneys requested all spectators be cleared. Court officials cited a court rule that they claimed allows such a closure "on the request of either party."

Next Page >


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.