Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah high court weighs appeal in Pennsylvania man's adoption case
Courts » Justices ask pointed questions about vying state laws.

< Previous Page

"There is still always a chance out there," Brooks said. "There’s no giving up hope. I want my son and I’m not going to stop until I get him back."


At a glance

Lawmakers considering changes to adoption statute

Several bills before the Utah Legislature would amend the state’s adoption statute to address problems raised in several disputed cases.

One bill would allow Utah to join with other states to share putative father registry information. Another would give unwed fathers more time to respond after first learning an adoption is underway in Utah; it also would require birth mothers to reside in Utah for at least 90 days prior to placing a child for adoption or give biological fathers notice of an adoption. Another bill would require notice be provided except in cases where a mother has experienced or fears abuse.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.