Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Charges dismissed against Utah arson suspect
Courts » Stacy Barnard was originally charged for starting fire that killed her ex-boyfriend.
First Published Mar 04 2014 01:48 pm • Last Updated Mar 04 2014 07:39 pm

An arson charge was dismissed Monday against a Hurricane woman who had been accused of starting a fire that police say killed her boyfriend.

Stacy Barnard, 43, was originally charged in 5th District Court with first-degree felony aggravated arson.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But on Monday, the charge was dismissed.

"Originally, a K9 unit indicated there was accelerant," defense attorney Jay Winward said Tuesday. "The state crime lab reports there was no accelerant found. There was nothing that indicated that there was accelerant used."

Winward would not comment on what Barnard’s version of events was regarding the New Year’s Day fire, but he said it was "safe to assume" it was an accident.

According to a probable cause statement filed in court, firefighters could not enter the trailer at 237 W. State St. because it was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived around 3:30 a.m. Barnard was outside the trailer, and told firefighters that 31-year-old David Wayne Vere Neilson was still inside.

Barnard was reportedly seen by other trailer park residents shouting and pounding on the side of the trailer after it burst into flames. Residents initially tried to pry open the trailer’s door to get to the man inside, but the flames were too intense.

After extinguishing the fire, crews went into the trailer and found Neilson, deceased and severely burned.

Both Barnard and Neilson — who was a periodic boyfriend of Barnard’s, according to police — were believed to be at the home when the fire broke out.

Barnard told police that she had been burning candles and the fire started there, according to the probable cause statement. Court documents allege that the police dog indicated that Barnard’s hands had an accelerant on them.


story continues below
story continues below

Hurricane Police Sgt. Brandon Buell said Tuesday afternoon that the case remains an open and active investigation.

"We are still looking at a few leads," Buell said. "We’ll continue to look until there are no other avenues to look into."

jmiller@sltrib.com

Twitter: @jm_miller



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.