Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
State attorneys: ‘Hold’ on Utah same-sex marriages warranted

< Previous Page

The Attorney General’s Office also said it is unnecessary to ask the Utah Supreme Court to weigh in on state law since the "answer is clearly apparent from state law." State attorneys said the second question is "illogically framed" and, even if rewritten, would not help the court decide the constitutional issues presented in the case.

"The couples in this case are seeking benefits flowing from recognition of marriages they have not yet received and, based on a district court’s injunction, which has been stayed," the state said.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The state also said it inaccurate to say Utah has "withdrawn" any recognition, since any benefits secured before the stay are being honored and provision of other benefits are merely on hold.


Twitter: @Brooke4Trib

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.