Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Courtesy image A rendering shows the Front View of Songdo University in Songdo, South Korea. The University of Utah will begin classes at its first international campus in September.
University of Utah to open Korean campus in September
International campus »Mostly Asian students will attend project financed by South Korean government.
First Published Feb 26 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Feb 26 2014 01:01 am

The University of Utah will begin classes at its first international campus in September after the Korean Ministry of Education officially approved the campus in the South Korean city of Songdo Monday.

University officials hope to enroll about 275 students initially, most of them from South Korea and Asia, though the late timing of the government approval could make that a challenge, said Chief Global Officer Michael Hardman. The U. will offer three undergraduate degrees — social work, communication and psychology — and one graduate degree in public health this year, according to a statement.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"It’s been six years in getting it to the point where we’re comfortable and the Korean government is comfortable," that the education is up to the standards of the main U. campus, said Hardman. "We’re very satisfied we’ll be able to do that."

The U. won’t spend any state public money on the venture. The South Korean government is paying for the university to set up operations there, providing at least $1.5 million a year for the first four years as well as a $10 million interest-free loan the U. doesn’t have to pay back unless its campus there is profitable.

The school will also use the $350 million campus for free for the first five years. It’s located in a multibillion-dollar, privately-developed city built on land reclaimed from the Yellow Sea.

The government invited the U. and several other schools to set up at the new Songdo Global University campus, which is located in the Incheon area, one of the largest free economic zones in Asia. Several schools initially involved with the project have dropped out, saying the market for attracting South Korean students wasn’t strong enough to justify setting up shop there, but U. officials have said they’ll be able operate profitably.

Tuition will be about $20,000 a year, a similar price to what international students at the U. pay. American U. students who study in Songdo will pay in-state tuition.

The U.’s student body in Songdo is predicted to be 40 percent Korean, 40 percent from elsewhere in Asia and 20 percent from the U.S. and Europe. Undergraduates will spend three years in Korea and one year at the U.’s main campus in Salt Lake City and graduate students will split their two-year program between Utah and Korea.

Asian and Korean students will have the same admission requirements as Utah students. Applications will be accepted until July 1 for the fall semester.


story continues below
story continues below

Twitter: @lwhitehurst

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.