Home » News » Justice

Laser sparks Utah wood shop fire

First Published      Last Updated Feb 22 2014 06:00 pm

Investigators suspect an unattended laser torched a Box Elder County wood shop.

A family ran the wood-etching business in a shop next to their house in Beaver Dam, a remote and unincorporated community. The laser runs automatically, so they left the shop for a bit Friday — only to return and find the laser had sparked a fire just after 2 p.m., said Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton.

Twenty-six firefighters from five departments arrived to find the shop engulfed, so their priority turned to protecting the house, Barton said. The shop was a loss, but the house only suffered some melted siding.

Barton estimated the financial loss at $100,000. No one was hurt.


Twitter: @mikeypanda