(Michael McFall | The Salt Lake Tribune)
A two-alarm fire at 1280 E. South Temple on February 10, 2014.
Candle sparked east-side Salt Lake City apartment fire
By Michael McFall
| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Feb 11 2014 01:26 pm • Last Updated Feb 11 2014 01:47 pm
A candle flame appears to have caused the apartment fire near the University of Utah on Monday afternoon.
Two people were home in their third-story apartment at 1280 E. South Temple when smoke started pouring out of a vent, said Salt Lake City fire spokesman Jasen Asay. By Tuesday, investigators had determined that a candle or incense burning in a room connected to the vent had started the blaze.
The two called 911, knocked on doors of other apartments to let people know to evacuate and rushed out of the building. Responders closed the streets around the building while firefighters arrived and contained the flames to the room where the fire started.
No one was reported injured.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
About Reader Comments
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account
. See more about comments here.