Utahns offered free screenings, more in American Heart Month
Two Utah high schools chosen by lawmakers will receive 'CPR in Schools' training kits, donated Friday by Utah IASIS Healthcare medical centers in honor of American Heart Month.
On Saturday, Intermountain Medical Center in Murray will host what it bills as the state's largest community healthy heart fair fromÂ 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., offering free health screenings and other activities.
And events will continue through the month, raising awareness of heart disease.
IASIS Healthcare provided a heart-healthy breakfast and health screenings to legislators, Capitol employees and volunteers on Friday, and lawmakers were slated to recognize Utahns who saved a life this past year using CPR. Volunteers planned to talk with legislators about requiring CPR training for high school graduation.
IASIS centers in Utah include Davis Hospital and Medical Center, Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, Jordan Valley Medical Center and Pioneer Valley Hospital.
Friday is the 11th Annual National Wear Red Day, which highlights the risks for women. Cities across the country will illuminate monuments, landmarks and buildings in red on Friday and this month. Participants in Utah include Salt Lake City's 222 building, Walker Center, the City and County Building, Grand America Hotel, Nordstrom at City Creek, Salt Palace, Shilo Inn, South Towne Mall and Whole Foods in Sugar House.
Also on Friday, AmeriCorps in South Salt Lake is hosting a Daddy Daughter Dance and community health fair open to the public at the Columbus Center, 2531 S. 400 E. South Salt Lake.
Intermountain'sÂ 2014 free Community Healthy Heart FairÂ will be held at the medical center at 5121 South Cottonwood Street in Murray. The free screenings will include blood pressure, body fat and heart and diabetes risk assessments. Participants will receive risk scores for diabetes and one for heart disease, and may receive a free blood glucose test, an electrocardiogram (EKG), or both.
Heart-healthy cooking demonstrations and other activities are planned, including:
• 9:15 am: "Live Well and Live Longer," physician John Day, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute.
• 10:30 am: "What is the New Smoking: Sitting or Sugar? â Participate in the Debate," physicians Liz Joy and Tamara Sheffield
• Noon: "Heart-Healthy Recipes to Lighten Up Your Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner," chef Jennifer Burns and Intermountain Medical Center dietitian Amana Hindoian.
The Utah and Nevada chapter of the American Heart Association also .....
• Feb 7-9: At South Towne Mall's "Go Red and Save," customers wearing red will receive discounts at many mall stores and restaurants.
• Through Feb. 10: National sponsor Macy's is giving a 20 percent discount to customers wearing red, or customers can purchase a red dress pin for $2 to receive the "wearing red" discount.
• Through Feb. 28: Employees at more than 20 Utah companies are hosting wear red day activities including; 1-800 Contacts, Altius Health Plans, American Express Co., Associated Foods, Associated Reps., Edwards Life Sciences, Gateway Mall, GBS Benefits, Hilton, Intermountain Health Care, MountainStar Medical, Salt Lake City Public Library, Salt Lake County Health Dept., Salt Lake Valley Emergency, Select Health, University of Utah, Utah Department of Health, USANA, Vectra Management Company, Whole Foods in Sugar House, and Zion's Bank.
• Also through Feb. 28: Ten digital billboards provided by YESCO, Grandpa's Attic Storage and Security Pro Storage will display Go Red For Women messages in Salt Lake and Utah Counties.
• Coming in May: The American Heart Association will hold its Go Red For Women Luncheon to raise funds and awareness for fighting heart disease in women on Friday, May 2, at the Salt Lake City Hilton.
Learn more about the association and the campaigns at GoRedForWomen.org, GoRedCorazon.org, heart.org, or call 1-800-AHA-USA1.
Kits to teach teens
Each CPR in Schools Training Kit, donated by Utah IASIS Healthcare medical centers to two Utah high schools, contains:
10 Mini AnneÂ® inflatable manikins
10 kneel mats with carry bags
Practice-while-watching training DVD
Hand pump for manikin inflation
2 mesh collection and storage bags
Classroom carry bags
50 replacement airways
50 manikin wipes
10 replacement face masks
See more about comments here.