Crews extinguished a fire in Taylorsville ignited by discarded ashes from a meat smoker.
Courtesy: United Fire Authority
Ashes from meat smoker spark Taylorsville blaze
By Janelle Stecklein
| The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Feb 02 2014 01:55 pm • Last Updated Feb 02 2014 06:11 pm
No one was injured Sunday after discarded ashes from a meat smoker caught a Taylorsville couple’s home on fire.
Unified Fire Authority officials said the blaze started about 11:15 a.m. in the trash can under the two-story, split entry home at 4358 Beechwood Road (1510 West).
Earlier, the couple had thrown away what they thought were extinguished ashes, but those caught the garbage on fire. That blaze then spread to the wooden deck and then to the house.
The couple and their dogs escaped without injury.
The fire caused an estimated $80,000. The home is uninhabitable.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
About Reader Comments
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account
. See more about comments here.