Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah carpet cleaners apparently killed by carbon monoxide
West Jordan » The two parked inside the garage and closed the door, firefighters say.
First Published Feb 01 2014 08:44 pm • Last Updated Feb 01 2014 10:46 pm

Carbon monoxide is believed to have killed two carpet cleaners Saturday in West Jordan.

Investigators did not immediately identify the pair. West Jordan firefighters were called to the home near 6000 W. Miners Mesa Drive (6920 South) about 6:25 p.m. Saturday and found two adults inside.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The man and woman were unconscious and apparently suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, said West Jordan Fire Chief Marc McElreath. They had been running the cleaning van in the attached garage, possibly to run the equipment mounted inside, McElreath said.

The two were taken to Jordan Valley Hospital in "extremely critical condition," McElreath said. They died later that night.

West Jordan police were interviewing neighbors to figure out how long the workers had been at the house. Officers are waiting for the gas to clear from the home before going inside and investigating further.

It was not immediately clear Saturday evening whether anyone was living at the house, or if the cleaners were there to prepare the home for sale, McElreath said.

There were apparently no working carbon monoxide alarms in the home, McElreath said.


Twitter: @mikeypanda

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.