Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah police officer cleared in December shooting episode
First Published Jan 30 2014 10:18 am • Last Updated Jan 31 2014 06:33 am

A West Valley City police officer who last month shot and wounded a knife-wielding man was justified in using deadly force, the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.

Officer Jason Vincent shot 24-year-old Oston Shiloh Fairbourn after Fairbourn threatened Vincent with a knife and approached to within several feet of the officer on Dec. 15.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

When Vincent ordered Fairbourn to drop the knife, Fairbourn yelled, "you’re gonna f---ing die," according to prosecutors.

Vincent fired three shots and Fairbourn was struck in the chest and abdomen.

According to a letter from Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill to West Valley City Police Chief Lee Russo, Vincent "reasonably believed that deadly force was necessary to defend himself ... we conclude that Officer Vincent’s use of deadly force was justified under Utah State law."

Fairbourn, who has been described by police as a transient, was charged earlier this month in 3rd District Court with first-degree felony attempted aggravated murder, along with assaulting a police officer, interference with an arresting officer, carrying a concealed weapon, failure of a pedestrian to yield and disorderly conduct.

According to charging documents, Vincent saw Fairbourn acting strangely as the man walked in traffic at 3500 S. 3200 West.

When Vincent approached Fairbourn, the defendant displayed a large, fixed-blade knife, which he refused to drop when ordered, according to charges.

Fairbourn then stepped toward Vincent and was ordered to stop. Vincent then shot Fairbourn.

A witness told police that Fairbourn was 3-5 feet from the officer when he saw Fairbourn grab his stomach, as a result of being shot, according to charges.

story continues below
story continues below

Police said the gunshot wound didn’t completely stop Fairbourn. When a backup officer arrived, he saw Fairbourn on the ground, propped up on his elbow and saw the large knife on the ground next him.

Fairbourn then rolled on top of the knife and tucked his arms under his body, police said.

It took five officers to get Fairbourn under control, and he had to be strapped to a gurney in order to be transported to the hospital for treatment.

A scheduling hearing for Fairbourn is set for Jan. 31 before Judge Vernice Trease. Bail has been set at $50,000, cash-only.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.