Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Bill would OK use of cannabis supplements in Utah
Hemp » Lawmaker wants to give parents of kids with epilepsy access to seizure-stopping cannabis oil.

< Previous Page

A federal farm bill, approved Wednesday by the U.S. House and expected to pass the Senate, would allow colleges and universities to grow hemp for research purposes in 11 states that permit growth, including Colorado, Montana and Oregon.

Hemp and marijuana are the same species of Cannabis sativa, but hemp is cultivated to be low in THC.

At a glance

What’s next?

The bill will be numbered, released and assigned to a House committee for public debate.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The farm bill defines "industrial hemp" as "the plant, and any part of such plant, Cannabis saliva L. ... with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis."

The federal measure means little to Utah, Froerer said, except that "it takes away any objection that we’re bumping up against federal law" with his bill.


Twitter: @KStewart4Trib

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.