Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Keith Johnson | Tribune file photo) Hillary Maxwell (right) and her daughter Makaela paint wine bottles at Paint Mixer in Salt Lake City, November 7, 2013. Paint Mixer gives participants in certain classes the opportunity to enjoy a glass of wine or beer under a special education liquor permit offered through the state.
Utah liquor commission may tighten rules on booze education
Alcohol » Until new rules are adopted, all future education permits are on hold.
First Published Jan 28 2014 08:50 am • Last Updated Jan 28 2014 09:29 pm

For several years, culinary schools, restaurants and even grocery stores in Utah have been able to offer alcohol classes and tastings, thanks to an educational liquor permit offered through the state.

But in recent months, as more non-food-industry businesses — such as painting studios — have requested the educational liquor permits, it has raised red flags for the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (UDABC).

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

On Tuesday, the state liquor commission said a new set a rules to help the state govern these educational permit holders was in order. Some of the issues that will likely be addressed in the rules include:

• Quantity and portion size of drinks.

• Server training.

• Educational qualifications or certification.

• Hours of operation.

• Preventing minor consumption.

• Proximity to churches and schools.

• Liability insurance.

story continues below
story continues below

All that information will help staff and the liquor commission "decide if something is truly educational," Nina McDermott, director of compliance, licensing enforcement, told the board during its monthly meeting in Salt Lake City.

Until the rules are adopted, probably in a month or two, all future education permits are on hold.

"We won’t consider any new applicants until we adopt the new rules," said Board Chairman David Gladwell.

The topic of educational permits also came up last week at the UDABC’s Advisory Board meeting, made of up restaurant and bar owners. During the meeting, Chairman Fred Boutwell, with Gastronomy, said businesses with educational permits should be required to follow the same alcohol laws as restaurants and bars, which face stiff fines for mistakes.

We want to make sure, he said, they’re not using the educational permits "in lieu of a retail license."

Owners of the painting and wine studios that seemed to prompt the discussion welcome more specific written rules — to a point.

"More guidance would be nice, but if they make it too restrictive, it won’t be helpful," said Candice Vasher, co-owner of Painting with a Twist, a painting studio that also offers wine education during some classes. Vasher said she opened the Murray painting studio about three years ago, but since obtaining an educational liquor permit in 2013, the business has taken off.

"Being able to sell wine," she said, "is huge."


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.