Ogden firefighters not only saved a home from burning down, they rescued two dogs and treated them for smoke inhalation.
Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said the blaze, at 750 N. Liberty Avenue about 7:20 p.m. Wednesday, began in the kitchen of the single-story residence. Ogden firefighters, assisted by a crew from the Northview Fire Agency, found heavy smoke and flames upon arrival.
After the fire was doused, a search of the interior turned up the two dogs.
"The dogs were taken to the ambulance and were given oxygen by a pet oxygen mask system," Bauman said on Thursday. "One dog was transported by animal control [personnel] to a local veterinarian for further evaluation. Both dogs are reported to be doing well."
Fire damage, estimated at $10,000, was contained to the kitchen with the remainder of the home sustaining smoke damage.
The cause of the fire, which has temporarily forced the homeowner to stay with family, remained under investigation.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.