Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Roy cop pulls man from burning house moments before explosion

Roy »

First Published Jan 12 2014 10:23 am • Last Updated Jan 13 2014 09:58 pm

A Roy police officer was being hailed a hero Sunday, a day after he rushed into a burning home and pulled a man to safety.

Sunday, that man remained hospitalized at the University of Utah Burn Center with second- and third-degree burns, said Roy Fire Chief Jason Poulsen.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The officer, 30-year-old Kyle Christensen, was checked out at a local hospital and released.

"There’s no doubt that [the officer] saved his life," Poulsen said. "If he didn’t grab him out, he’d probably have been gone."

Poulsen said 911 calls started coming in about 6:45 p.m. Saturday to report a home at 3965 S. 2025 West in flames with a resident still trapped in the basement.

The victim’s mother made it out unharmed, and when rescuers arrived she was screaming for her son to come out.

Christensen and another Roy police officer arrived just moments before fire crews. Christensen, who spent two years as a firefighter in Idaho before coming to Roy, ran in and disappeared into the smoke.

"The first thing [that hits you] is the smoke and the heat from the smoke and the flames," Christensen said. The only light in the house was the glow from the fire. "I yelled out to him and he wasn’t responding to my voice."

Christensen soon reached the adult son, grabbed him in a bear hug and carried him out.

Minutes later as firefighters tried to battle the blaze, the whole top floor "exploded," Poulsen said. Everyone, including firefighters, managed to escape just in the nick of time.


story continues below
story continues below

"It was one of those that has the real true potential of being a deadly fire," Poulsen said.

Poulsen said the burned man, who he said was in his 40s, was possibly intoxicated and smoking in his basement bedroom at the time the fire started. Poulsen said investigators were returning to the home Sunday to try to determine the exact cause of the fire.

The home is a total loss.

Poulsen said firefighters never recommend anyone rush into a burning building because they could easily find themselves trapped as well.

Reporter Michael McFall contributed to this story.

jstecklein@sltrib.com

Twitter @sltribjanelle



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.