Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Trent Nelson | The Salt Lake Tribune) Esar Met at his murder trial, Friday January 10, 2014 in Salt Lake City. Met is accused of killing 7-year-old Hser Ner Moo in 2008.
Utah murder victim’s death was painful, says child abuse expert
Trial testimony » Hser Ner Moo was beaten, brutalized.
First Published Jan 10 2014 12:16 pm • Last Updated Jan 13 2014 09:06 am

On the morning of the day she disappeared, Hser Ner Moo was dancing around her home, bounding up and down the stairs.

She was happy, family members recalled, and healthy.

Latest tweets from Marissa Lang (newest at the top)

At a glance

A Missing Peace

Reporter Julia Lyon traveled to Thailand to trace the journeys of Hser Ner Moo and Esar Met from the Mae La refugee camp to Salt Lake City. Her series, reported in collaboration with the International Reporting Project, also explored the challenges their families and other refugees face in America. See the series at http://extras.sltrib.com/thailand.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The lifeless little girl law enforcement agents found beaten and brutalized in the basement of a South Salt Lake apartment the next day was anything but.

A child abuse expert testified Friday that Hser Ner Moo suffered excruciating pain in her last moments alive.

She was bloodied and battered, her body bent and broken. Further investigation revealed numerous internal injuries, including a severely fractured arm, the extent of which the expert said she had rarely seen.

"This would have been terrible pain for her," child abuse expert Lori Frasier testified on the fourth day of a trial against Esar Met, the Burmese refugee charged with the girl’s 2008 abduction and murder. "This kind of injury would have required force."

Her testimony Friday focused heavily on injuries to Hser Ner Moo’s genitals, which Frasier said were extremely rare and likely caused by forceful penetration.

No DNA evidence suggesting a sexual assault was found at the time of the girl’s death, but Frasier testified that doesn’t mean one didn’t take place.

"It may have been a crime of power rather than a crime of sex," Frasier testified. "There are a number of reasons for DNA not to be present."

Hser Ner Moo’s left arm was also severely broken, X-rays revealed.

story continues below
story continues below

It was an injury, Frasier said, that would have also caused great amounts of pain and was likely inflicted by another person.

Frasier conducted her examination of the girl on April 2, 2008 — the day after her body had been discovered at the bottom of apartment 472 in the largely refugee community of South Parc.

Defense attorneys questioned Frasier’s expertise — noting she specializes in living children and is not licensed to perform autopsy exams.

Esar Met, 27, watched in silence as Frasier testified alongside graphic images of the girl’s damaged genitals.

Several people in the courtroom gallery averted their eyes. One man blinked back tears.

Over the course of the afternoon, during which Hser Ner Moo’s childhood best friend and her brother took the stand, prosecutors asked pointed questions about what kind of games the children would play with Met.

Nane We, 15, recalled afternoons spent frolicking about the apartment complex with Hser Ner Moo. They would play tag and dig in the sandbox, she said. Sometimes, Met would give them rides on his back, pretending to be an elephant with a long trunk and a waddled walk as the girls giggled with delight.

Nane We testified that Met never hurt her or Hser Ner Moo while they played. They were frequent guests in Met’s home — an apartment he shared with four other men — but never entered Met’s bedroom if they weren’t searching for a place to hide in a game of hide and seek.

Met never removed his clothes in the presence of the girls or "tickled them" inappropriately.

"He took care of us and loved us, just like little sisters," Nane We said through a Burmese interpreter. "He helped me learn how to ride a bike, and he offered to teach Hser Ner Moo, too."

Nane We’s older brother, Maung Then Htank, who took the stand after her, said he had known Met from a refugee camp in Thailand where they both lived.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.