Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah schools may have to hold more violence drills

By Lisa Schencker

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Jan 09 2014 03:59 pm • Last Updated Jan 09 2014 10:02 pm

Fire drills aren’t the only types of drills Utah schools might soon be required to hold regularly.

The state school board gave initial approval Friday to a rule that would require schools to alternate fire drills with either earthquake drills or violence lock downs.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Until now, alternating between fire drills and other types of drills has been optional for Utah schools, which have been required to hold other types of drills once a year. Utah elementary schools are required to hold drills once a month, and secondary schools once every other month.

"Unfortunately, it’s the society that we live in that makes that necessary," said Tami Pyfer, board president. " … we do need to have students prepared."

The board must vote on the change one more time next month for it to be final.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.