Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Rick Egan | The Salt Lake Tribune) Esar Met listens to proceedings in Judge Judith Atherton's courtroom at the Matheson Courthouse in Salt Lake City, Thursday, January 9, 2014. Esar Met is accused of killing 7-year-old Hser Ner Moo, who disappeared on March 31, 2008.
Police officers break down while testifying of Utah girl’s death

First Published Jan 09 2014 01:10 pm • Last Updated Jan 09 2014 10:01 pm

The police officer took the witness stand Thursday in his uniform blues, a radio affixed to his right shoulder.

Mikal Wersland is a sergeant with the South Salt Lake Police Department. He’s worked homicides and seen children disappear. Violence, trauma and loss come with the job.

Latest tweets from Marissa Lang (newest at the top)

At a glance

A Missing Peace

Reporter Julia Lyon traveled to Thailand to trace the journeys of Hser Ner Moo and Esar Met from the Mae La refugee camp to Salt Lake City. Her series, reported in collaboration with the International Reporting Project, also explored the challenges their families and other refugees face in America. See the series at http://extras.sltrib.com/thailand.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But there was something different on March 31, 2008, the sergeant testified Thursday, something different about Hser Ner Moo.

The 7-year-old girl with the warm smile and bright eyes disappeared that afternoon after announcing to her aunt and uncle that she was going to play "for just a little while."

Hours later, Wersland and six detectives canvassed the neighborhood, knocking on doors and searching homes. They worked tirelessly, into the dark of night.

By 4 a.m. the next morning, the six detectives had searched every home in the largely refugee community save one — Apartment 472.

Later that day, Hser Ner Moo’s bloodied body would be found bent and broken in a basement bathroom. She was beaten, raped and killed.

Wersland fought tears in court Thursday as he recalled the phone call he received from a colleague, telling him the child was dead.

"They told me they found what they believed to be blood evidence in the stairwell of one of the apartments we hadn’t been able to search," the officer said, wiping his eyes with a tissue. "I just thought about this poor family and having to — just the thought of having to tell this family what had happened to their little girl."

Wersland was the latest of several veteran officers to break down on the stand over the last several days in the trial of Esar Met, a Burmese refugee accused of kidnaping, raping and killing the little girl.

story continues below
story continues below

The officers all told the same tale: In their gut they knew it would not end well.

"I just didn’t feel good about it," Wersland said. "I didn’t think we were doing a thorough enough search."

Emotions ran high during the first three days of testimony in the 3rd District Court trial, which was expected to continue through Jan. 24.

On Wednesday, the child’s family testified about the kind of girl she was and the loss they have struggled with since her death. Their cries and their words, delivered by a Karen translator, moved at least one juror to tears.

On Thursday, the third day of proceedings, prosecutors brought in Wersland, a refugee caseworker, several forensic experts and the girl’s uncle — one of the last to see her alive — to testify to a panel of 11 jurors.

"She was a happy, healthy little girl," uncle Say Blowh said through a translator. "She was always happy to see you, always ready to give a warm welcome."

Prosecutors allege that Met abducted the child on March 31, 2008, brought her down to his basement apartment — just doors away from the girl’s own home — where he sexually and physically assaulted the child before killing her.

Defense attorneys have said that Met and the child were friends and playmates, that he cared for her and other children in the apartment complex.

There were no witnesses who saw Met abduct or slay the girl, defense attorneys said in opening statements Tuesday, noting the evidence the prosecution does have — DNA collected from Met’s denim jacket and from under the child’s fingernails — were remnants of games the two had played days before.

Met has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him: first-degree felony counts of child kidnapping and aggravated murder. If convicted, Met could spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Hser Ner Moo was found by FBI agents after more than a daylong community-wide search that case worker Carrie Pender said swept the refugee community.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.