Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Second UTA train-pedestrian accident in as many days

Roy » Man suffers broken leg, arm; earlier incident was in SLC and fatal.

First Published Jan 07 2014 08:33 am • Last Updated Jan 08 2014 11:29 am

A distracted pedestrian was struck by a FrontRunner commuter train as it came to a stop at the Roy FrontRunner station Tuesday morning.

The man was in "extremely critical" condition as of Tuesday night, said Roy Police spokesman Bryce Weir.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Witnesses said the man was looking at something in his hand when he tried to cross the tracks on the north end of the station’s platform about 7:48 a.m., said Utah Transit Authority spokesman Remi Barron. The train was sounding its horn, but the man appeared not to notice it, Weir said.

"It was the southbound train, and lucky for him it was slowing at the time," Barron said. "As he stepped in front of it, he looked up at the last second and jumped off the tracks, so it was an indirect impact."

The man, 36, suffered severe injuries and was taken to a hospital, where his condition was "touch and go" Tuesday night, Weir said. However, in the morning, he was conscious and communicative when taken to the hospital, where he was initially listed in serious condition.

Investigators found ear phones at the scene, but they do not know whether he was wearing them or whether that was the reason he did not notice the train.

The accident delayed FrontRunner passengers heading southbound by up to half an hour during the height of the morning commute.

It was the second accident involving a pedestrian and a UTA train in as many days.

Monday afternoon in Salt Lake City a woman was fatally struck by a TRAX light rail train north of the Ballpark station.

The woman was walking near the train tracks about 4:30 p.m. near 200 W. Paxton Ave. (1180 South), when she lost her balance and fell in front of a train, Barron said.

story continues below
story continues below

Less than an hour earlier, UTA police had spotted her walking in the right-of-way near the tracks; she appeared intoxicated, Barron said. The officers took her to a voluntary detox facility, but she left and returned to the tracks, Barron said.

Witness reports indicate the fall likely was an accident.

The woman’s identity still was being withheld pending efforts to notify her family.


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.