Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah man accused of marathon bomb threat gets probation

Courts » George Zinn was sentenced to probation on Friday after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor.

By Jessica Miller

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Jan 03 2014 11:05 am • Last Updated Jan 03 2014 09:26 pm

A 59-year-old man accused of making threats to plant bombs at the finish line of the Salt lake City Marathon less than a week after the Boston Marathon bombing was sentenced to probation Friday.

George Hodgson Zinn was originally charged in 3rd District Court with one count of making terrorist threats, a second-degree felony, after he sent an email on April 19 to SLC Marathon Marketing group "requesting to help place bombs" at the marathon’s finish line.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Zinn accepted a plea deal in November, pleading guilty to an amended class A misdemeanor charge. On Friday, 3rd District Judge James Blanch opted to suspend a year of jail time and sentenced Zinn to 24 months probation. Blanch also ordered the man to undergo a mental health evaluation and receive treatment.

Zinn’s attorney, Lisa Remal, told the judge Friday that her client’s mental health issues often causes him to make "impulsive" and "dumb" choices. He hopes that steady mental health treatment will help him learn how to correct those mistakes, she said.

"He understands he may very well have frightened people," she said. "Though that was not his intention."

Zinn has a criminal record dating back to 1989 and includes dozens of convictions for petty crimes such as criminal trespass, theft of services, interfering with a police officer and disturbing the peace. However, this was the first time he had been charged with a felony, according to his attorney, which was a wake-up call to the man.

Blanch also ordered that Zinn have no further contact with marathon organizers, after Zinn contacted organizers once more after the initial threat. Zinn told the judge Friday that he contacted them to apologize and see what they wanted to do about the case, not to make another threat.

"When the nation is so vulnerable and so edgy, it was entirely out of line to forward that comment to you," Zinn wrote in the email to organizers, referring to the April 15 Boston Marathon bombings. "I want you to be assured that I have no terrorist or criminal tendencies toward your program or toward the citizens of Salt Lake City in any way."

jmiller@sltrib.com

Twitter: @jm_miller


story continues below



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.