Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Al Hartmann | The Salt Lake Tribune) Salt Lake City Fire Department and Hazardous Materials Response Team investigate a possible ricin letter sent to radio stations at Trolley Corners buiding at 700 East and 500 South Monday December 30.
Suspicious package leads to scare at Salt Lake City radio station
X96 » Incident likely a hoax, but testing planned on contents.
First Published Dec 30 2013 01:56 pm • Last Updated Dec 30 2013 10:38 pm

Much ado about nothing? A "suspicious package" call to X96 Radio’s offices Monday morning appears to be have been just that.

But an official determination won’t be made until lab tests confirm the initial findings that the package contained nothing more suspicious than a CD and a business card bearing an unspecified and somewhat incoherent message.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said hazmat workers "suited up" for the 10 a.m. response to the station, at 515 S. 700 East, "just as a precaution.

"It initially came in as a possible ricin call, but hazmat went in and investigated and found no powder or trace of any other harmful chemical," Asay said.

As a matter of routine and procedure, however, the envelope, CD and business card will be tested further, he added.

Brett Leifson, chief financial officer for X96 owner Broadway Media, said a station employee found the suspicious envelope while opening mail Monday morning. He confirmed it was addressed from out of state, contained a CD and a card.

The station regularly gets CDs in the mail from promoters and "budding artists," Leifson said, so that was not unusual.

However, the card apparently had writing on it that the employee thought "was from a crazy person." The paper, the employee thought, also "felt funny." Finally, when he Googled the name on the card, it purportedly linked to an undisclosed person associated with past ricin incidents, the employee said.

Police were called, leading to the SLCFD’s hazmat crew eventually responding.

After a brief lockdown of the offices, the scene was cleared and station operations resumed as normal.

story continues below
story continues below


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.