Fire investigators were probing the ashes Friday morning after an early morning blaze heavily damaged a Marriott Construction building in Plain City.
The cause of the fire, which was reported just before 2:30 a.m. Friday near 5000 West and 2200 South, had not officially been determined, but Plain City Fire Department spokeswoman Brandie Kilts said a space heater was suspected.
No injuries were reported, but it took crews from Plain City, neighboring Ogden and North View, and the Weber Fire District to finally douse the flames, which were coming out of the structure’s second-floor windows when firefighters first arrived.
A damage estimate was not immediately available but Kilts said it was extensive within a 1,000-square-foot area encompassing a stairwell, restroom and a conference room.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.