A house fire sparked by a wood-burning stove in Salt Lake City killed a dog and displaced two people Friday afternoon.
The fire began just before 2 p.m. in a Rose Park home located between 600 and 800 North and 1000 and 1200 West, according to Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay. The fire began on a couch that was too close to a wood-burning stove that had been used earlier in the day, Asay said.
Damage from the fire was limited to the room where it began.
The man and woman who lived in the home were not there when the fire started. Asay said the residents were displaced and the Red Cross had been called in to find lodging options.
One of the two dogs living in the home died from smoke inhalation. The other dog and several cats made it outside, Asay said.
The fire did not cause any other injuries. Investigators ruled the blaze accidental Friday afternoon.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.