Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Fire heavily damages Salt Lake City home
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Five people are displaced after a fire destroyed the main level of their Salt Lake City home.

The fire started shortly before 8 a.m. Tuesday at the house, 1239 W. 700 South. Two people who were in a basement bedroom at the time heard the smoke detectors go off and escaped without injury, said Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay.

A fire crew was leaving their station and "saw the smoke coming from the neighborhood, so they knew exactly where to go," Asay said.

Though the firefighters were able to react quickly and keep the fire from spreading to the basement or the attic, the fire still destroyed one floor of the house. The blaze caused an estimated $150,000 in damage.

Investigators believe the fire originated from a power strip, Asay said.

The five people who lived at the home have family nearby that they can stay with, Asay added.

"It's fortunate that the smoke alarms were working, and the [two people] were able to get out of the house quickly," Asay said. "It's a great example of why it's important to make sure your smoke alarms are working properly."


Twitter: @mikeypanda

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.