A propane tank jury-rigged to a water heater likely led to a fire that forced an Orem family from its apartment over the weekend.
Orem police Lt. Craig Martinez said the 5-gallon tank apparently had been attached to the water heater when natural gas service to the unit in a four-plex at 157 W. 1015 North was cut off recently.
The circumstances of the 6:45 p.m. Sunday blaze continued to be under investigation Monday, including whether the attachment of the propane tank to the water heater was a safety code violation.
The fire burned into the unit’s attic, but smoke and water were the primary factors in an estimated $20,000 in damage, Martinez said.
The family stayed in a motel overnight, Martinez said.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.