Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Study: Old potato led to botulism outbreak in Utah prison
Prison » Twelve inmates became sick in 2011 after drinking homemade brew.
First Published Dec 13 2013 12:22 pm • Last Updated Dec 14 2013 09:59 am

The inmate who cooked up some botulism-tainted jailhouse wine at the Utah State Prison in 2011 had brewed homemade alcohol before. But he made one — nearly fatal — mistake in October 2011.

He used a potato.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

According to a study about the botulism outbreak published this week in the Annals of Emergency Medicine, the inmate’s experimentation in putting an old potato among other ingredients in the plastic bag hidden in his cell led to the sickening of 12 inmates at the prison. The potato allowed botulism to develop, according to the article.

The 2011 incident was highlighted in the peer-reviewed journal for the American College of Emergency Physicians in an article entitled, "Emergency Department Identification and Critical Care Management of a Utah Prison Botulism Outbreak."

In 2010, 112 confirmed cases of botulism were reported in the United States, according to the Utah-based researchers, with only 8 percent of those cases resulting from food-borne incidents.

In the Utah case, researchers said eight of the 12 inmates who were sickened by the bad brew were diagnosed with "acute botulism poisoning." This incident is one of the largest food-borne botulism outbreaks since 2006, according to researchers.

The inmate who made the so-called "pruno" told medical officials that he had made the brew — which contained a two-week old baked potato, powdered juice mix and several types of fresh and canned fruit — about 20 times before. But this was the first time he had added a potato, thinking it would "accelerate fermentation."

Eight inmates came to the emergency department of the University of Utah hospital in early October 2011 with trouble swallowing, double vision, difficulty speaking and weakness about 54 hours after they ingested the bad pruno.

According to the researchers, the amount of pruno consumed varied between prisoners, with some patients reporting that they had ingested over two gallons of the brew. The three most severely affected patients had respiratory failure and needed to be intubated to keep them breathing. All patients received a botulism anti-toxin after being admitted to the hospital.

The study was published online Tuesday, and can be read here.


story continues below
story continues below

jmiller@sltrib.com

Twitter: @jm_miller



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.